STEFANIK TRAIL II REGULATIONS
Art. 1 PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS – WHO CAN COMPETE?
- Only runners who are at least 18 years old on the day before the race can compete in STEFANIK TRAIL II.
- All STEFANIK TRAIL participants must be prepared mentally and physically for this extremely demanding race. They assume full responsibility for assessing whether their previous training allows them to handle this extremely demanding race which is 80 + 64 km long with 3496 + 2055 m vertical gain and 3447 + 2467 m vertical loss.
- All runners, including pacers, compete at their own risk and will be asked to sign the following declaration at the time of registration: Prehlásenie pretekára (SK), Runners proclamation (EN)
- Each participant, with no exceptions, must present and submit čestné prehlásenie o lekárskej prehliadke at the registration before the race (or when picking up his/her race number) to the organizers. Failing to submit this document, the runner will not receive a race number and will not be able to compete, and he/she will not be refunded the registration fee. If the runner fails to present this document at the registration before the start, he/she will be asked to sign this document on the spot.
All runners are required to sign this document. Failing to do so, the runners will not be able to compete and their registration fee will not be refunded.
- Registration and participation is voluntary and therefore implies consent with the race regulations and any other changes that can occur. By registering, the participant assumes full responsibility for their health and property as well as for damage to health and property of a third party that he/she causes.
- All participants must be aware that they will run in the Little Carpathians Protected Landscape Area and must therefore respect Slovak legislation, namely Law No. 543/2002 on protection of nature and landscape. The race will take place in a Protected Landscape Area with a specific and unique ecosystem. Participants must therefore cause no pollution or disruption of this ecosystem, especially by littering, picking flowers or disturbing wildlife. Anyone caught littering the trail will be disqualified in accordance with Slovak legislation. In order to reduce our impact on the environment, the organizer WILL not provide plastic cups at aid stations. Every runner will be asked to use their own cup or bottle to secure their water intake at aid stations.
- Runners can only compete if they pre-registered, registered at the start line and paid the registration fee as per the stated rules and within the deadline. (more in Section „HOW TO REGISTER“). IT IS PROHIBITED for registered runners to pass on their race numbers to non-registered runners. Should this happen, the relay team in question will be disqualified.
- Relay team members must carry mandatory equipment, required by the organizer. (more in Art. 2 “Mandatory Equipment”)
- The participant will run with a borrowed SPORTIDENT timing chip (more in Section „HOW TO REGISTER“)
Art. 2 MANDATORY EQUIPMENT
MANDATORY EQUIPMENT FOR STEFANIK TRAIL II RUNNERS
- Elastic bandage 1 pc, foil blanket 1 pc, whistle or anything producing a loud noise 1 pc
- Visible reflective element worn on top of your clothes or backpack, or a red bike tail light attached to your backpack or top of a headlamp
- Headlamp with at least 100 lumens and spare batteries (or a power bank for charging)
- Charged cell phone to last for the entire duration of the race (we recommend not taking photos or tracking your run with this phone)
- YOUR OWN CUP
- Trash bag (for gel packs and other food and medicine wrappers and bottles, etc.)
- Clothing with reflective elements worn from the start or during evening/night sections.
- Bottles or other sealable containers with at least 1 litre in volume
- Waterproof and windproof jacket or raincoat (poncho)
- ID card, health insurance card and 20 EUR
If the participant does not carry all the mandatory equipment at the start line, he/she will not be allowed to compete. If the participant does not carry all the mandatory equipment during the race, he/she will be disqualified or penalized according to the set rules (this rule does not apply to the first aid kit equipment used during the race).
- Surgical dressing 1 pc, disinfectant 1 pc
- GPS in a mobile phone, but also in a separate device (trekking watches)
- Reflective vest
- Bear bell
- Extra torch (hand torch) for better 3D identification of obstacles along the course Extra headlamp with at least 100 lumens
- Folding trekking poles
- Change of clothes, especially socks – ideally finger socks
- Clothes suitable for the weather and time of the day – check the weather forecast
- Spare running shoes
- Sunscreen with a high SPF
- Head and neck protection against sun
- Cream or Vaseline to treat chafing
- Water – based on your sweat rate (amount of sweat produced per hour under similar conditions) and distance to the nearest aid station
- A good mood and friendly attitude towards volunteers, other runners and barking dogs
Art. 3 REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE STEFANIK TRAIL RACE
- Relay teams will successfully complete the race provided they run the full length of the course and comply, together with their support teams, with all the stated requirements and rules, including time limits for respective aid stations.
- Relay teams that fail to reach an aid station within the time limit will be automatically retired from the race. All ultra runners, and relay team and ultra relay team members who retire early from the race for whatever reason (including when the organizer cancels the race) are required to immediately inform the organizer about their retirement and their health condition and exact location by phone, if they are on the trail between aid stations, or at the nearest aid station, so as not to create a false alarm or an unnecessary search and rescue operation, which could be subsequently billed to the participant. If the runners fail to do so, they will be banned for life from participating in the STEFANIK TRAIL races or any other event organized by URBAN SERVICES, s.r.o. or O.Z. VESTIGIUM in the future.”
- It is only allowed to receive help with carrying equipment or food in a designated area within the aid station but not between two aid stations.
- Support teams must comply with road traffic rules and follow the instruction of the organizer when it comes to parking their cars in places designated by the organizer. Support teams must not cause any noise disturbance at night and they must follow the instructions of the organizer and the police, should the police offer any assistance during the race. In case the organizer witnesses any misconduct of the support teams, e.g. excessive noise, littering, intoxication, etc., the organizer will immediately disqualify the relay team of the given support team.
- The event will take place under any weather conditions. The organizer reserves the right to change the course and program of the race, including the cancellation of the race in case there are safety concerns for participants. If the event is cancelled due to extreme weather conditions or based on a weather forecast 48 hours or later before the start of the race, participants are not entitled to a fee refund.
- If the organizer deems necessary to cancel the race within 15 days prior to the race due to unforeseeable reasons and force majeure, the organizer reserves the right to refund 50 % of the registration fee. The organizer will use a portion of these funds to cover expenses incurred prior to the race. If the race is cancelled due to bad weather conditions or other adverse facts beyond the organizer’s control, the registration fee will not be refunded.
- In case of adverse weather conditions (thick fog, snow, thunderstorm, hailstorm, falling trees, etc.), the organizer reserves the right to introduce “last minute” changes, including changes to the course during the race, in order to eliminate any risks to the participants. The organizer must immediately inform participants about any changes. The organizer reserves the right to suspend or cancel the race, in case they learn about new risks to the health and lives of the runners, volunteer and medical staff.
- If only a certain number of ultra runners or relay teams is diverted from the original course, or if the race is cancelled, there will be no overall standings based on finish times. The organizer will only publish a list of runners and relay teams in alphabetical order, with their times at aid stations and at the finish, without announcing the overall standings.
Art. 4 ORGANIZERS’ INSTRUCTIONS
INSTRUCTIONS AT THE START LINE
M. R. Štefánik’s final resting place is protected under Slovak National Council Law No. 402/2000 on M. R. Štefánik’s merits.
- Only runners who completed the online registration by the given deadline can participate in the race, or their substitutes, if they follow the steps to change the data in the original runner’s pre-registration by the date stated at www.stefaniktrail.sk in Section „HOW TO REGISTER“.
- All ULTRA RELAY TEAMS must register at the start line between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m..
- The lead-off runner or the captain of an ultra relay team must bring a declaration signed by each member of their team to the start line!
- There will be refreshments and toilets available at Bradlo Restaurant.
- Before starting, participants can drop off their bags to be transported to the finish area, as well as their drop bags to be used at respective aid stations. Each piece has to be visibly labelled with your race number or your name. We recommend storing drop bags in a sealable waterproof case (plastic bag, dry bag, etc.).
- We will not delay the start of the race. Participants can cross the start line within 30 minutes of the start of the race.
- All runners at the start line must wear a Sportident chip, which they will receive at registration (provided the chips are available). In case there are no chips available, manual recording sheets will be used to record times at unmanned check points and at an aid station.
- The organizers will wear reflective vests. Please follow their instructions.
INSTRUCTIONS AT THE FINISH LINE
- If you cross the finish line within the time limit, you will receive a commemorative medal. You will be given further instructions both at the start of the race and at the finish of the race.
- Before the race, runners will be informed about refreshments and toilet options, as well as the possibility of picking up their bags at Eurovea Shopping Mall or M. R. Štefánik Primary School in Bratislava. We will set up a relaxation area for runners in the finish area.
- The organizers will wear reflective vests. Please follow their instructions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ULTRA RELAY TEAMS
- MANDATORY EQUIPMENT FOR THE ULTRA RELAY TEAMS IS THE SAME AS FOR ULTRA RUNNERS!!!
- THE ULTRA RELAY TEAM CAPTAINS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR REGISTRATION AND THE REGISTRATION FEE PAYMENT OF THE WHOLE TEAM. ALL IMPORTANT DECLARATIONS AND CONFIRMATIONS MUST BE SIGNED BY EACH ULTRA RELAY TEAM MEMBER and the lead-off ultra relay team runners must bring these signed documents to the registration before the start at Bradlo.
- The number of ultra relay runners is always 2. Only one ultra relay runner at a time can run an individual section of the STEFANIK TRAIL course. The second runner cannot join him/her at any point as a pacer, except for the last section from Lafranconi Bridge to the finish line where the runner can be joined by his/her team member of by his/her family and friends. However, they cannot in any way (e.g. by carrying his/her equipment, offering him/her water, etc.) help the runner get to the finish line. Should this happen, the runner and the relay team will be disqualified.
- Ultra relay team captains must notify the organizer about which section will be covered by which member. Organizers must know at all times which relay team member is on the course at each point in time. Ultra relay team captains are responsible for relaying this information to the organizer. Runners can change the order in which they run individual sections, but captains are responsible for making these changes at each point in the race until the finish line. Only relay team captains can change the order of the runners and only within the limits of the registration. It will not be possible anymore to change the name of the relay team and its captain between 15.6.2021 and the end of the race.
- At the registration at Bradlo, it will not be possible to change (add, withdraw, replace runners)any relay team information.
- It is not mandatory for relay teams to hold an individual briefing at the relay team general briefing point, but it is recommended. Ultra relay team captains will be informed about the exact time of this general briefing once the registration is closed. In past years, it was usually held one week before the race on a Friday afternoon. During this briefing in Bratislava, relay team members will receive important information and will also be able to pick up their race packs.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUPPORT TEAMS AND DRIVERS
- Support teams must comply with road traffic rules and follow the instruction of the organizer when it comes to parking their cars in the places designated by the organizer. Support teams must not create any noise disturbance at night and must follow the instructions of the police. In case the organizer witnesses any misconduct by the support teams, e.g. excessive noise, disturbance at night, littering, intoxication, etc., the organizer will immediately disqualify the runner or the relay team of the given support team.
Art. 5 AID STATIONS
- All runners must carry the mandatory equipment at all times and they must carry at least 1 litre of liquids at the start of each section.
- There will be the following aid stations along the course:
- Dobá voda (KM 15) – NO ENTRY TO SUPPORT CARS
- Buková Reservoir (KM 39)
- Sološnica (KM 57)
- Pezinská Baba (KM 80)
- Bratislava, Kamzík – buffets (KM 108) – NO ENTRY TO SUPPORT CARS
- Bratislava, Devín – church (KM 128)
- Only runners with visibly displayed race numbers can enter the aid stations.
- It is strictly prohibited to drink from bottles or jerricans also used by other participants. Each runner must carry and use his/her own cup. Trash must be disposed of in trash cans or bags located at the aid station.
- When leaving the aid station, runners must carry a sufficient amount of water and food that will get them to the next aid station.
- There will be another aid station at the finish line where runners can make use of their food vouchers.
- There are food stands, buffets, restaurants and shops along the course where runners can stock up on food and drinks.
- Family members and friends can support their runners ONLY at aid stations in a specific area designated by the organizers.
- Food and drinks provided are only for runners.
- NO third person is allowed to carry the runner’s belongings.
Art. 6 COMPLIANCE WITH REGULATIONS
Violation of any part of the STEFANIK TRAIL regulations will be considered a serious offence. We also take seriously information about any violation of the rules, and so in the spirit of fair-play and in order to protect the environment and health of the participants, we will proceed as follows:
Any information regarding the violation of the rules during the race is considered an objection. Only participants and organizers can object. A person can submit a verbal objection to the organizer, stating who is objecting, what is the subject of the objection, what is reason for it and why it should be admitted. A member of the staff will put the objection on record. The objection will be decided definitively by a trail marshal as quickly as possible. The decision by the trail marshal will be adopted immediately. It will not be possible to file an objection once the last participant crosses the finish line.
Once the race is finished, the organizer will publish the official results. he results will be published at www.stefaniktrail.sk in the “Results” section. Any other results are not official results and the organizer will not take them into consideration. Protests against the published results or conduct of other runners during the race can be lodged within 24 hours after the announcement of the results. Protests can be submitted only by a participant or a representative of a participant. Protests must be submitted in writing to an email address email@example.com. The lodging of a protest must be secured with a deposit of 30 EUR in our bank account (IBAN: SK21 0200 0000 0032 8550 6454). The deposit is forfeited in case of an unjustified protest. All protests must include the subject of the protest, name of the submitter and any other facts substantiating the protest. Protests will be arbitrated within a reasonable time by a Jury made up by a trail marshal, head timer and representative of runners appointed before the start of the race. The protest is sustained if all the members of the Jury agree.
Assessment of Objections and Protests
When considering an objection or a protest, the jury will take into account all reported claims, official technical data and views of the representatives of the organizer. The decision-making is based on the following rules:
- taking obvious shortcuts
- refusing to help a participant in distress
- showing aggression toward the organizer or volunteers
- littering along the trail
- using any mode of transport during the race
- refusing a medical check-up by the medical staff
- refusing the mandatory equipment check
- not following the instructions of the trail marshal should the course be changed to an alternative or emergency one
- missing anything from the mandatory equipment – head or hand torch, or its low light intensity, i.e. less than 100 lumens, foil blanket, camel bag or bottle/sealable container with at least 1 litre in volume
Time penalty of 180 minutes
- For the skipping of each checkpoint, including an aid station
Time penalty of 60 minutes
- Failing to carry spare batteries, or flat batteries if used.
- Failing to carry your own cup.
- Failing to be identified with a visibly displayed race number.
Disqualification for life
Individual runners, and ultra and trail relay runners who fail to immediately inform the organizer about their retirement from the race, will be disqualified for life from participating in the STEFANIK TRAIL races.
Art. 7 OTHER
SAFETY AND CHECKPOINTS
here will be checkpoints along the course. Trail marshals and volunteers are allowed to check if you are carrying all mandatory equipment. Trail marshals will also make random checks at points that could serve as shortcuts. Runners who refuse to be checked, or if seen off the marked trail, will be immediately disqualified and lose their race number. Trail marshals have the right to divert runners to so-called emergency routes that could differ from the official course. Failing to follow these instructions will result in an immediate disqualification.
ORGANIZER’S RIGHT TO WITHDRAW A RUNNER
In order to protect the health of participants, the medical staff reserves the right to withdraw a runner from the race based on medical grounds. The participant must fully respect this decision. Failing to do so, the participant will be disqualified.
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS AND RETIRING FROM THE RACE
Runners must keep their phone switched on at all times and they must have the Integrated Rescue System number (112), support team members’ number and race organizers’ number given at the registration saved on their phones. After retiring from the race (not finishing the race), the runner must IMMEDIATELY call the race organizers’ support line and inform the staff at the nearest aid station if he/she manages to get there. Runners will be given the support line number at registration. Final position of the STEFANIK TRAIL organizers after an unpleasant experience in 2018 is as follows: “All runners who retire early from the race for whatever reason (including when the organizer cancels the race) are required to immediately inform the organizer about their retirement and their health condition and exact location by phone, if they are on the trail between aid station, or at the nearest aid station, so as not to cause a false alarm or unnecessary search and rescue operation, which could be subsequently billed to the participant. If the runner fails to do so, he/she will be banned for life from participating in the STEFANIK TRAIL races or any other event organized by URBAN SERVICES, s.r.o. or O.Z. VESTIGIUM in the future.”
There are no kilometre markers along the course. Participants are required to strictly stick to the route marking, not use any shortcuts or intentionally skip the marked parts of the course. Getting off the marked trail will result in disqualification. Runners assume full responsibility for any consequences resulting thereof.
By registering for the STEFANIK TRAIL race, participants give the event organizer full authorization to create and use any still or moving images and sound bites from the event with no restrictions. This material can be used for commercial and marketing purposes of the event in the media and advertising campaigns of URBAN SERVICES s.r.o. and O.Z. VESTIGIUM and its partners.